Monday, August 19, 2013

My First Song

"Take Care”

I wanna take care of you- if you want me to
You could call me up late, and ask me out on a date
I’d buy you some booze and be your muse
We could stay up ’til dawn, singing our songs
But I don’t know what to do, if you don’t feel it too
-So, if you wanna roam, I won’t ask you home- with me
and maybe there’ll come a day, when you’ll wanna stay- with me- again
Until I know what’s true, I’ll just write more songs for you

I wanna be your everything, when I hear you sing
You could get me a drink and ask me what I think
and after a few, I’d dance close to you
We could go race in our cars, go stare up at the stars
But I don’t know what to do, if you don’t feel it too
-So, if you wanna roam, I won’t ask you home- with me
and maybe there’ll come a day, when you’ll wanna stay- with me- again
Until I know what’s true, I’ll just write more songs for you

So, if you wanna roam, I won’t ask you home -with me
And maybe there’ll come a day, when you’ll wanna stay -with -again…
’cause I don’t know how I feel, and I don’t know what is real
The only thing I know is true, I just wanna take care of you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To save him the bother of transporting it, Charlie opted to leave a guitar at my apartment.
I was working at the nursing home the day “Take Care” came to me.  I was sitting with a patient, waiting for her breathing treatment to conclude.  One of my favorites to visit, she had a trache in her neck, following surgery and chemo treatments for laryngeal cancer.  I was thinking of Mr. Mister, of the long list of wifely duties I wanted to fulfill for him; I want to wash your dishes, grant your wishes.  I want to wash your clothes and hold you close.
The melody was loud and clear in my mind.  I went home humming, ready to tackle the guitar.  I pulled up a chord chart and played each until I found corresponding notes.  In less than an hour, I had my first song -complete.

...It felt like being naked, singing these words... humbling myself.  I did not know who knew what.  Did everyone think I was a lying, cheating tramp?  A crazy woman who kicked down doors?  I had no reason left to be afraid to put myself on stage... "All the world's a stage".

No comments:

Post a Comment