Monday, August 19, 2013

Chapter 9: Maybe Baby

Amazing things began to happen...  Mr. Mister was recording his album, preparing a CD release party.  Meanwhile I was booked for my first real gig.  I was coordinating band rehearsals and beginning to promote.  Up until that point I was hesitant to even call myself a "musician".  I felt inadequate... But I knew if I was doing this, I was going to do it right.  I took a hard gulp and created a Facebook band page.  I designed and printed flyers.  I rode the open mic circuit hard.

390065_10150405318558036_480859585_n
By the time Christmas came around, I was in a strange place.  My 29th birthday approaching.  My heart up in the air... Suddenly Mr. Mister seemed to be around again- But not really... Because he was always working and recording.  -And I could see her staking her claim.   I could see events unfolding fast and knew I had nothing to do with what the outcome would be.  I took my hands off the wheel and enjoyed the ride...

 One popular Center City open mic was having a special Christmas themed open mic... Every musician had to play at least one Holiday song.  I was still miserable to learning covers.  I tried to sit down and learn one, but within a few hours, I had written a fun little tune of my own... Derived from the chord progressions of "All of me" and "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out", I put together a song that spoke all about how badly I missed Mr. Mister... About how every time I walked the route from the open mic to my apartment, I half expected him to drive up and tell me to get in...

"Maybe Baby"

Last year, I met a man in red
He had a long beard and a fancy sled
He pulled up, next to me, and flashed a grin,
winked an eye and welcomed me in

He said, "Baby, come sit by my side,
and I'll take you for one hell of a ride!
We don't need no roads, where we're gonna go-
just look down at the rooftops aglow
 We're gonna fly, on the wind- just like a kite
I'm gonna take you 'round the world tonight

'Cause, Baby- Maybe... Maybe, Baby,
You were made for me, for me, for me, for me
For me, for me, for me, for me."

All that night we rode 'round together,
staying warm through all sorts of weather
We fed the cookies to his funny reindeer,
while we shared a flask of holiday cheer
 He told me, "Mrs. Claus, well, she's the real myth
I've searched the whole world for the one to be with

So, Baby- Maybe... Maybe, Baby,
You were made for me, for me, for me, for me
For me, for me, for me, for me."

Since that morning that he dropped me home
I knew better than to wait by the phone
I tried to roam and run with the boys,
but I had more fun just playin' with my toys

So, tell me Santa, where are you this year?
-and did you get the letters I sent you, dear?
Will you- meet me under the mistletoe?
I'll wrap myself up, complete with a bow

'Cause, Baby- Maybe... Maybe, Baby,
I was made for you, for you, for you, for you
For you, for you, for you...

After Christmas, we were at the open mic... Then at a friend's after party.  I asked him to take me home... When he started to touch me this time, I did not stop him.  We finally had sex again.  He watched me in disbelief.  Then, only moments afterwards, I felt a twinge come over me.  My mind spoke because my heart hadn't the courage, "I think you have a girlfriend."

"Huh? Nah."

"Yeah... Pretty sure you do.  You should find out- 'Cause I don't fuck guys with girlfriends."

That was the last time we were intimate.  By New Years, he proved me right.

I started a count down of 100 days... No men.

No comments:

Post a Comment